- Testing & Consulting Services
- Asbestos Consulting
- Lead-Based Paint
- Mold Inspections
- Remediation & Construction Services
- Occupational Health & Safety
- Hazardous Materials Building Surveys
- Expert Testimony
- Project Profile
INDUSTRIAL HYGIENE & SAFETY PROJECT PROFILE
EE&G is dedicated to providing the highest quality mold inspections, lead-based paint inspections, and indoor air quality (IAQ) consulting services in the industry. Our years of experience and extensive clientele speak of our capabilities. EE&G is specialized in meeting the needs of clients and understands that no two IAQ related projects are exactly the same. Because of this, we have developed an extensive array of services as is shown in our project profiles below. EE&G has provided IAQ related services to both public and private clients all over Floirda since 1986.
School Board of St. Lucie County, Florida
EE&G was retained by The School Board of St. Lucie County to provide emergency disaster response services after the impact of Hurricanes Frances and Jeanne. As a result of significant water intrusion, EE&G managed and conducted a massive cleanup operation which included a room-by-room, building-by-building assessment and remediation of water-damaged materials and Assumed Mold Growth (AMG) in 39 schools. The remediation aspect of the project involved selective demolition of building materials and subsequent re-build.
The purpose of the project was to improve the indoor air quality for St. Lucie County schools’ children and staff. In order to provide optimum indoor air quality, EE&G selectively demolished water-impacted materials (i.e., drywall/sheet rock, carpet, floor tiles, ceiling, etc.) and evaluated HVAC systems and building envelopes to assess possible areas of water/moisture intrusion. Additionally the project involved selective exterior demolition of 60 portable classrooms and demolition of approximately 90 portables where the costs to remediate exceeded the replacement costs.
EE&G provided the following services:
- Comprehensive inspection and assessment of 39 schools and related offices to determine drywall/sheet rock and other building materials to be removed.
- Developed a written scope of work and procured the services of qualified contractors employing nearly 800 persons for drying and dehumidification, demolition of water damaged building materials, replacement of building materials and cleaning of all non-porous materials.
- Duct Cleaning.
- Provided turn-key design/building services.
- Supervised asbestos abatement and conducted air monitoring.
- Coordinated project with School District’s facility management.
- Provided project communication liaison with principals, County and EE&G.
- Presented IAQ information at press conference on behalf of School District.
- Monitor, coordinate and schedule ongoing remediation efforts.
Brevard County, Florida - School Board
Industrial Hygiene Services
EE&G has been the consultant for Brevard County Public Schools, providing a variety of indoor air quality, industrial hygiene and environmental consulting services. These included conducting asbestos consulting services for over 100 projects including the performance of AHERA inspections, re-inspections and asbestos abatement project oversight, air monitoring and project documentation. EE&G is providing consulting services in connection with Brevard County Schools “7 Year Facilities Plan” and has participated on the following projects: Palm Bay High School, Astronaut High School, Cocoa Beach High School, Merritt Island High School, Titusville High School, Melbourne High School, Stone Middle School, Johnson Junior High School, West Shore Junior/Senior High School, Croton Elementary School, Harbor City Elementary School, Oak Park Elementary School, University Park Elementary School, DeLaura Middle School, Indialantic Elementary School, and North Area Adult Education (former Whispering Hills School).
A brief description of consulting services follows:
- Radon Testing, including both Phase I and II testing in 21 different schools. The project included the collection of 240 radon samples over a one-month period.
- Lead-based paint, EE&G conducted an OSHA Negative Exposure Assessment and area air monitoring during the preparation of painted surfaces at West Shore Junior/Senior High School during the 2007 summer break door replacement project as part of the “7 Year Facilities Plan”.
- Indoor Air Quality, EE&G has conducted numerous IAQ-related projects for the School District. One such project, conducted at Satellite Beach High School, included evaluation of the heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system to identify the cause of elevated humidity throughout the school. The project also included the design of remedial actions and the collection of air data.
- Removal of underground storage tanks at Normandy School, McNair Magnet School, L.B. Johnson Middle School, and West Melbourne School of Science. EE&G completed Tank Closure Assessment Reports (TCARs) with each of these projects.
- Installation of an aboveground storage tank at L.B. Johnson Middle School.
- Initial Remedial Actions (IRAs) including removal of petroleum-affected soils at McNair Magnet School, removal of petroleum-affected soils and free-floating product at West Melbourne School, and addition of oxygen release compounds (ORCs) to enhance the natural attenuation of residual petroleum hydrocarbons following the tank removals. Quarterly groundwater quality monitoring at West Shore Jr/Sr High School. Site Assessment Reports for the Mila Bus Compound, West Melbourne School, Croton Elementary, Sabal Elementary and Audubon Elementary Schools, which were impacted by petroleum hydrocarbons.
- Emergency response following the discovery of buried debris at Freedom 7 Elementary School. EE&G conducted site assessment activities, and provided engineering research and expertise to evaluate options for handle the debris and associated dewatering activities.
EE&G's outstanding service to this Client has resulted in multiple re-awards of the contract and numerous accolades.
Monroe County, Florida - Public Schools
Indoor Air Quality Services
EE&G was retained by Monroe County Public Schools (MCPS) to perform IAQ services in association with Horace O’Bryant Elementary School, and Poinciana Elementary School, in Key West, Florida. EE&G collected initial bioaerosol samples in response to occupant complaints and concerns associated with IAQ at both schools following water infiltration from Hurricane Wilma. In addition, EE&G collected bioaerosol samples following cleaning and remediation activities at both schools. EE&G conducted a cursory visual inspection of the areas to be tested, prior to the collection of post-remediation bioaerosol samples. Bioaerosol samples were collected when no visual evidence of water-damaged or mold-impacted building materials was observed in the tested areas.
The post-cleaning visual did not identify water-damaged or mold-impacted building materials within the inspected areas at the time of the inspections. Furthermore, the subject areas were generally dust free, suggesting that the work was done in accordance with current industry standards, and included the use of work practices to reduce the generation and migration of dust beyond the work area.
Miami-Dade County Schools, Florida
Abestos Removal and Mold Inspection Services
Since 1988, EE&G has provided a wide range of industrial hygiene consulting services to the Miami Dade County Public Schools. This has included asbestos, indoor air quality and lead-based paint services as follows:
- Air monitoring for over 5000 asbestos abatement projects.
- Inspections and supervision of asbestos abatement for over 100 roof projects.
- 50 quality control inspections for asbestos abatement projects.
- Conducted initial investigations, and supervised the remediation of 10 indoor air quality projects including the main office of the environmental control department.
- Assisted in developing the lead-based paint control program including the process for inspections, and control of lead dust during renovation projects.
Orange County, Florida - Public Schools
Asbestos Inspection And Disaster Recovery
Since 1989, EE&G has provided Orange County Public Schools with asbestos, lead, indoor air quality, and hazardous materials consulting services.
These services have included:
- Initial asbestos inspections and development of Management Plans.
- Three year re-inspections.
- Design and project monitoring of approximately 2000 asbestos abatement projects.
- Cost recovery assistance associated with 100 facilities.
- Lead-based paint awareness training for 70 maintenance staff.
- Lead-based paint inspections for over 75 buildings.
- Over 200 indoor air quality investigations.
- Served as expert witness for asbestos and indoor air quality projects.
- Pre-demolition surveys for residential dwellings to be acquired by the School District.
- Establishment of a District-wide program to screen buildings for lead-based paint prior to planned renovations. This included XRF testing, and project design and monitoring.
Seminole County School Board, Florida
EE&G has provided indoor air quality and industrial hygiene assessments and services for the Seminole County School Board since 1994. During that time, EE&G has conducted three-year re-inspections and six month surveillance inspections for asbestos for over 85 facilities. EE&G has also conducted initial asbestos inspections and developed management plans for buildings acquired by the School Board.
Orleans Parish and Cameron Parish – Hurricane Rita Pre-Demolition Asbestos Surveys
Asbestos Inspection And Disaster Recovery
EE&G conducted Pre-Demolition Asbestos Surveys of approximately 800 condemned structures and produced reports within two weeks of completion of field-work. Work was conducted over a three-month period. EE&G utilized a database format for the reports, which included survey findings and recommendations, laboratory reports, photographs, and field sketches.
Florida Department of Transportation – Office of Investigator General
EE&G was retained by the Department of Transportation - Office of Inspector General (DOT-OIG) to conduct an IAQ assessment at the DOT - OIG facility. The purpose of the assessment was to identify and evaluate possible sources of mold contamination, as requested by DOT-OIG administration and in response to occupant complaints.
EE&G Conducted a cursory inspection of the building and HVAC system in the areas of complaint to assess, if possible, potential sources or pathways of contaminates, collected general air quality and thermal comfort parameters (relative humidity, temperature, and dew point temperature) to assess the performance of the HVAC system, collected bioaerosol samples to assess for total airborne mold spores (Air-O-Cell or spore trap), collected tape-lift slide samples to assess for surface fungal components, and collected bulk carpet samples to assess for fungal components present in suspect carpet stains.
Based on the results of the assessment, EE&G developed a written scope of work identifying potential sources of reported complaints, and outlining corrective actions and recommendations.
City of Fort Lauderdale, FL
EE&G conducted numerous IAQ and Mold Assessments for City-owned properties, including City Hall, fire stations, police station, community centers, and recreational facilities. EE&G’s scope of services included the following:
- Interviews with building occupants to establish background history and symptoms.
- Collection of bulk/tape/swab/air samples for mold spores.
- Measurements of relative humidity/temperature/dew point/carbon dioxide/carbon monoxide.
- Water intrusion assessments.
- Provided Assessment Reports, and designed abatement and remediation strategies.
- Abatement/remediation project coordination, oversight, monitoring, & clearance sampling.
Residential High Rise Building, Hutchinson, FL
Indoor Air Quality Services
EE&G assisted a condominium board in assessing water damaged building materials in a residential high rise located on the beach.
EE&G conducted initial assessments, developed scopes of work and conducted remediation of water damaged materials from units that sustained water damage from window failures, roof failures, etc. The work was accomplished in primarily occupied units, and done on a fast track to minimize the client’s liability associated with potential microbial growth where water damage had occurred.
- Conducted an initial unit-by-unit inspection to identify areas of water intrusion.
- Mobilized, monitored and maintained desiccant and portable mechanical devices to dry building materials until the building materials were dry in accordance with industry standards.
- Prepare an estimate for the work (identification, drying, removal and disposal).
Mixed Residential and Commercial Use building Complex - West Palm Beach, Florida
After damage sustained by Hurricanes Francis and Jeanne, EE&G assisted the developer (working through their attorneys) in assessing water damaged building materials in approximately 320 units. The units were in both a condominium high rise tower and 4 low-rise mixed use commercial and residential buildings.
EE&G conducted initial assessments, developed scopes of work and provided oversight during remediation of water damaged materials from approximately 320 units that sustained water damage from window failures, roof failures, etc. The work was accomplished in primarily occupied units, and done on a fast track to minimize the client’s liability associated with potential microbial growth where water damage had occurred.
Industrial Manufacturing Office Building
IAQ Assessment and Scope of Work for the Removal of Water-Damaged and Mold-Impacted Building Materials
EE&G was retained by an industrial manufacturing company to conduct and IAQ assessment and provide a scope of work for the removal of water-damaged and mold-impacted building materials from an administrative office building. EE&G conducted a limited visual assessment of the interior areas of the subject building, conducted a moisture assessment and summarized the water-damaged materials.
Based on the findings and conclusions EE&G prepared a detailed scope of work for remediation of water-damaged and mold-impacted building materials.
EE&G performed a visual inspection upon completion of all work to verify that designated building material was completely removed, and that the work areas were a dust free environment. After acceptable visual inspection, samples were collected inside the work areas, as well as from the ambient environment. Clearance of the work areas was granted when the total spore counts as well as the predominant species of spores were similar inside and outside of the work areas.
Private Home Builder
IAQ Assessment and Management Consulting Services in West Palm Beach, Orlando and Tampa, Florida
A large builder of private homes in south and west Florida retained EE&G to conduct initial assessments, develop scopes of work and oversee remediation of water damaged materials from approximately 250 houses that were damaged by 2004 hurricanes. The work included retaining (as a subcontractor), a team of qualified remediation contractors, building engineers and microbiologists to document that current industry standard were followed and the houses were ready for re-construction.
Residential High Rise – Loft Style Design Condominium, Miami
EE&G was retained by the developer of a 24-story, loft-style condominium located in downtown Miami. Water intrusion through unfinished penetrations during construction resulted in damage to gypsum board on Floors 21 through 5. EE&G worked with the developer and contractor to implement a water management program to address the immediate issues of damaged materials as well as to address potential future damage during construction. As a result, the damaged material was removed in a cost effective manner without incurring expensive remediation costs or delaying the construction schedule. Proactive planning resulted in mitigation of future losses that occurred during completion of the construction project.
Residential High Rise Condominium, Miami
IAQ Consulting Services
EE&G was retained by the contractor who recently completed construction of two 48-story condominium buildings located in downtown Miami. Water intrusion through building envelope (roof, windows, and garage) impacted gypsum board on Floors 36 through 3. Working with a team of design and forensic professionals, EE&G conducted building materials assessments and drafted remediation scopes for removal of water-damaged building materials. To mitigate potential liability claims, EE&G also oversaw the remediation process and conducted post-removal verification assessments. Project documentation was paramount to this Client and EE&G developed a custom project report that the Client was able to pass on to the condominium board.
Mold-Impacted Building Material Assessment and Remediation Oversight of 42 Story Condominium and 8 Story Hotel Complex
The subject complex was subjected to six different water intrusion events due to a combination of rain and two mechanical valve failures associated with the air conditioning system. During one of the failures, approximately 45,000 gallons of water was released on the roof of the building and ran vertically down through the building impacting the vertical ventilation shafts. The buildings were at different stages of construction when the events occurred. The project involved coordination between three different remediation contractors and up to a dozen other trades during the remediation. The remediation procedures involved the use of containments and engineering controls to minimize the spread of mold spores during remediation. EE&G provided remediation contractor oversight, facilitated coordination of the various trades, project documentation of the removal of mold-impacted building materials, and post remediation inspections and air sampling. EE&G provided a written scope of work that was used to secure a bid from several qualified contractors. The project was completed in such a manner that the owner/developer’s business interruptions and closing schedules were minimally impacted.